Musings and Poetry

My collection of poems, stories, and fitful spurts of creative energy.

September 13, 2004

On Death and Taxes

I've recently been reading the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. He has inspired the headline of this entry.

Death, not taxes, has touched me twice in the last week. I heard recently of a friend's acquaintance that committed suicide that unsettled me. I have my own past brushes with suicidal tendencies, so the news triggered some unsettling memories and feelings despite the fact that I never met this person. In a way, I feel I can relate. I've been there before. That precipice is such and easy place to return to once you've been there.

My friend and co-worker Matty died last night. He was such a great guy. He was a friend and an inspiration when I first started working here on his team. I think I remember describing him before as one of those "perfect straight guys." You know, the guy who all the girls want because he's so sweet, so funny, and full of joy. The one who treats people with such respect and honor, comfortable in his own skin and always wearing a smile.

Good-bye Matty. You will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home