Musings and Poetry

My collection of poems, stories, and fitful spurts of creative energy.

May 03, 2004

Nerves

New things can cause nervousness.
Excitement is so easily transformed to nervousness.
Fear is a major cause of nervousness.

I'm starting something new.
Something young and in it's infantile state.
I feel like a new parent, unsure of what to do and afraid of hurting something so small, fragile and precious.
I also feel excited.
Such possibilities ahead of me.

How do you combat the nerves?
Looking too far ahead can cause too much anxiety.
The future is so unsure for all things.
Looking hard at the past makes you second guess every decision, thought, nuance and inflection.
The past is unchangeable.

It is hard, but I will combat nerves as I do with all new things:
Enjoy each and every moment, do not look too far ahead, and try not to dwell on the past.

This is my new mantra.